It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:21 am

The Traz - A Farewell 
Site Admin

Post Re: The Traz - A Farewell
Hey just cos Hull have gone to the top of the Championship dont mean you can get lairy
Sbear

Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:14 pm
Profile E-mail

Mark, a great post :) . I was getting a bit concerned that no report/photos had appeared and even ventured a submission on the subject only for the site to crash on me, as so often happens. :(
I found your contribution to be depressing because it's another historical memento of our military life going ..going ..gone forever. It's good that you got back there before it had all gone. Your photos make me wish that I could see a 'before and after' composition. Would be good to have seen the same people in the same location photographed all those years ago.
For me, it created an odd feeling to be back in Prestatyn Bks after all the years. Much of it was the same but much had also changed due, mainly, to building development and, of course, it being allowed to revert back to nature with weeds in abundance and paths almost completely blocked with out of control brambles etc. It's like the death knell of a part of my life....sad :o

Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:55 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

Ron wrote:
Mark, a great post :) . I was getting a bit concerned that no report/photos had appeared and even ventured a submission on the subject only for the site to crash on me, as so often happens. :(
I found your contribution to be depressing because it's another historical memento of our military life going ..going ..gone forever. It's good that you got back there before it had all gone. Your photos make me wish that I could see a 'before and after' composition. Would be good to have seen the same people in the same location photographed all those years ago.
For me, it created an odd feeling to be back in Prestatyn Bks after all the years. Much of it was the same but much had also changed due, mainly, to building development and, of course, it being allowed to revert back to nature with weeds in abundance and paths almost completely blocked with out of control brambles etc. It's like the death knell of a part of my life....sad :o

I agree Ron, they always say don't go back; I can see why now. I suppose inevitably our perspective changes over 30 years and reality is never quite how we remember things. That being said, the blocks were the same and to see the old block 4 which was the original 7 Field block in such a sorry state was very sad. Particularly when you consider that Roberts still has at least 2 units occupying it!
I can remember mornings picking weeds, fag buts and leaves all round the block and one memorable morning seeing Brian Johnson and Alan (name gone, glasses, skinny Lancs sergeant) sitting in the flower bed sharing a crate of Herfy after a Sgt's Mess do.
Funnily enough I could never picture Prestatyn Bks until I actually saw it again, then it did slot back into place. The MRS on Sedan Strasse is just another empty building in an empty barracks but it was the scene for learning, laughter and tragedy for me. I had the death of the son of one of our REME full screws there when I was on duty, I had a captain who tried to commit suicide by swallowing a packet of weedkiller, when we got the call back from the London Poisons Centre we were told it caused mild flatulance. One of the amby drivers (longish pure blonde hair) was killed on his powerful motorbike on the tank road. Catching one of the nurses shagging one of the Amby drivers (a bit close to home). Perhaps most poignant of all was the night of 16th April 1979. I got close to Munster with a pregnant woman and delivered healthy baby in amby. Back to MRS, called out and rushed pregnant para's wife to Frauenklinik, got back and straight out to another pregnant woman in Belm who was in severe difficulties, got near to Belm and asked for address, mine! Wife had Placenta Previa and was losing blood by the bucket load. Rushed to Frauenklinik, wife ends up having a ceasarian which causes an amniotic embolism so spends next 3 days on life support and Richard is rushed to Kinderklinik where he is in an incubater for 10 days.
I had fun in Osnabruck, learnt priceless lessons about life, the Army and myself and met a lot of amazing guys. Those lessons have stood the test of time as have the the guys who, to this day, brighten my life with cameraderie, laughter, devilment and a feeling that I'm once again a young, fit soldier with the world as my oyster. Buildings may get weeded over, the may fall into disrepair, crumble and return to fields but those memories of those guys in that place will only die when I do. You can't buy comradeship like we have displayed at every reunion and get together, you can only give thanks to God that you have been given the remarkable gift that is friendship. All the guys on this site, especially those who have turned up at the reunions I thank you because you enrich my life far more than you probably realise.

Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:40 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

Alan Jones ???
Reab

Oh and very nicely written Mark

Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:46 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

martin245 wrote:
Alan Jones ???
Reab

Or was it Sgt Allen? Memory lapse I'm afraid.

Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:22 pm
Profile E-mail

Mark, you have spoken from the heart and every word is so true. I was at Prestayn for less than two years but so much was crammed into that short space of time and the memories can never be taken away, except by the grace of God. (Alzeimers or its equivalent.) It is said that we never remember the bad times, or the 'not so good' times, but that is not strictly true because they form part of the experience....maybe we don't dwell on them so much?
One ever-enduring feature of our past adventure is the people that made it what it was. You are so-o-o right and, personally, I wish that I could meet up again with more of those that formed my experience of 7FA. Many of them are undoubtedly now deceased and we that are still around can be grateful that they still live in our memories. Why this should happen, I don't know, but one of the cooks was in my dreams a few nights back, looking exactly as he did all those years ago when I last saw him. Similarly, a close friend from those days was in my dreams just the other night. He, in my dream, had aged but I was able to recognise him. Are either of them still alive? I don't know. And why they should suddenly make an appearance in my sub(un)conscious is beyond me!!!

Here's to Friendship, guys, and to Memories

Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:45 pm
Profile E-mail

Bear a humble apology I was drinking coke and even worse diet coke! I can assure you that I did make up for it later in the day. :D

As the latest Mrs Campbell, who has never known Army life, I have thoroughly enjoyed your reunions and get togethers and have listened enthralled by your stories, so to actually have the opportunity to take a nostalgia trip with some of the guys was an absolute pleasure and joy. To see all the places where you had experienced some of your life changing moments and also those of high jinx was priceless and I enjoyed every minute of it.

Thanks guys.

PS With my Health and Safety Hat on did you really run round the roof!! :o

Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:37 pm
Profile E-mail

Yes Mrs C. we did and pissed as well. Frightens me too death to think about it now! glad you had a good time and your company has always been a welcome addition to Mark's ugly mug! Ha!Ha! Ha! :lol:

Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:11 am
Profile E-mail WWW
Site Admin

Someone had to empty the Urine Bucket :ugeek:
Stu

Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:55 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

---------
Bloody hell, I thought that said the late Mrs Campbell for a minute!

Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:05 pm
Profile E-mail