It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:45 pm

Phil Cross 
Site Admin

Post Phil Cross
Musgrave Park Hospital Bombing

At the height of the IRA troubles in Northern Ireland (NI) the RAMC unit was bombed by the Provisional Irish Republican Army (PIRA) on the 2 November 1991 at approximately 2:35pm. The unit was busier than normal because some off duty staff were watching the Rugby World Cup Final.

The bomb killed one member of the RAMC (WO2 Philip Arthur Cross) and one member of the RCT (Driver Craig Pantry) and injured 9 members of the Army Medical Services (AMS), a five year old girl and a four month old baby. The bomb contained 20 lb of Semtex which exploded in a service tunnel which connected the Withers block to the RAMC Ward. The Withers block housed the children’s ward and the orthopaedic ward. There is a photo of the bombed building in the book Sub Cruce Candida: A Celebration of One Hundred Years of Army Nursing which was taken by Soldier Magazine.

A commemorative stone was laid on 19 June 1998 by the staff of The Duke of Connaught Unit, Musgrave Park Hospital in memory of WO2 P Cross (RAMC) and Dvr C Pantry (RCT)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:59 pm
Profile E-mail

Post Re: Phil Cross
i remember Phil Cross from 2ADFA and met him again while he was at Musgave Park a good lad to have with you wether it was in the field or the bar, I had gone to canada when we heard of the bomb, So RIP Phill mate we will always be thinking of you, and all the others that have gone.

Brian

Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:06 pm
Profile E-mail YIM

I rem Phil his family lived near me.Will always rem him sitting at the bar with his wife.His father died not long after he just had heart surgury.Have seen his name on the on the mem at lichfield.With so many others.What really makes me think there is a lot more room for more!!!!! :|

Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:42 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

---------
I met Phil's father in the mess at 16 Fd, quite an engaging character, I'm sorry to hear of his demise, he was very proud of his son.

Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:12 pm
Profile E-mail