It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:03 am

Memories 

Post Memories
What a fine bunch of men. Time we got today's fine young men back on parade. It's a question of pride, perhaps? Pride in appearance, pride in achievement, pride in behaviour.....like a foreign language in today's UK world. :(

I am proud to have been a part of that team.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:54 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

Post Re: Memories
A smart looking bunch of lads.

Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:54 pm
Profile E-mail

Mark, Did you have BD's when you first joined ACol. I remember we had them for the first term, just got them looking half decent when the b*****s then gave us No2@s to work on. Great life thou.

:D :D

Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:57 am
Profile E-mail WWW
Site Admin

Oh bugger, I was hoping no one would ask that, yes, I was issued with a full set of BDs and a Greatcoat. Spent hours pressing the BD Jacket but never wore it except when on Junior RoPs (what, me?) spent hours shaving the inside, soaping creases etc on BD trousers which we wore quite a lot, always pee-ed me off that the bottoms used to take lots of pressing from being 'bloused' round the gaiters. Gaiters and 37 (?) pat web belt blancoed but in later terms painted with green emulsion (never could understand why that shade was made, who'd ever want to paint their house kakhi drab?

So to sum it all up, I have no idea what the bloody hell you're on about, I'm far too young!

Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:09 am
Profile E-mail

Gentlemen, my apologies. This contribution should have been posted in the previous section since it is from the 'good old days' not 'up to date and modern'. Maybe one of you will move it to its correct place? :?
Talking about blancoing, our webbing had to be coloured according to the parent unit with which you served. As I recall, when posted to RPO Reading the webbing had to be a green colour but it wasn't blanco; it was like a wax poliish. Going back to the Training Centre for a course, the webbing had to be scrubbed clean and re-blanco'd. From thence to 1st Bn Inniskillins where it was a black wax. Arriving with 7FA it was back to blanco and Tara wasn't too chuffed that mine was still black on day after arrival. It took a helluva lot of scrubbing to get rid of the black.
On the subject of greatcoats, are they no longer issued? They were really good for keeping you warm, especially on the bed at night. Pressing them was a bind and very difficult to get sharp creases with the material being so thick. One chap at Reading had a terrific great coat that had been passed on to him when someone got demobbed. You could borrow the greatcoat to wear for guard inspection; if you got to be 'stick' man it would cost you 25p(equivalent) otherwise there was no charge. It got me off of a Xmas weekend way back then. :)

Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:05 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

When i was a Young Jtr Lad (years ago) we also had BDs and Greatcoats we also shaved the BDs and we also had a No2 shirt with a detaqchable coller and we used to scrub it withy toothpast to get it white No wonder we got Boils all over our necks UGH and also our Gaiters where also done that way .Mind you Junior Tradesmans Rgt was a lot harder than Regs
hell I thought I was on Holiday when I got my first posting
:D Swing the lights
Stu

Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:22 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

Isn't this your battle dress Stu?

Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:44 pm
Profile E-mail

That's me way in the back scratching my head wondering what's for mess. 8-) That was when I was first in the Army before getting transfered to the Continental Air Corps. ;)

Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:53 pm
Profile E-mail YIM

Rupert you are forgetting the detatched collar sewn on to the heavy duty sweater so that you could get ready sooner in the mornings .
No names no pack drill but I can remember 2 gents on this site that came in the MRS on sick parade for their jabs when told to take their sweater off and roll the shirt sleave up got a bit shy to say the least.
Happy days of Taunton J/Ldrs Regt.

Brian

Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:54 pm
Profile E-mail YIM
Site Admin

---------
I had to go to the MRS once to have my Socks removed :o
And wacko Jacko had to get Snorky removed
:evil:
If you read this Jacko (Sean)come and join us

Stu