It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:50 am

It Probably Wont Get Published But 
Site Admin

Post It Probably Wont Get Published But
This is a copy of a letter I have written to the Daily Telegraph

The Government has announced an increase in the compensation available to those wounded and to the relatives of those killed, in operational circumstances. Most would see this as only right and fair but already we have 'experts' talking about the 'compensation culture' as if in a desperate desire to show their total ignorance of what motivates the serviceman and the very exceptional circumstances in which he or she works.
When I was a young soldier we went into battle with the knowledge that, should something happen to us, we would be totally cared for from the moment of injury to final outcome. In the Falklands and Gulf War 1 we knew that we would be looked after on the front line, at a forward medical facility, a field hospital, a hospital ship and maybe even a base hospital back in the UK. It is not easy going to face your fete but it is made somewhat easier knowing you will be looked after should anything go wrong. The medical infrastructure was in place to look after the soldier long after he had left the services with ex-servicemen and women regularly being looked after in Service hospitals with their superior staff-to-patient ratios and their teams of remedial gymnasts and physiotherapists there to offer the very best recovery possible.
A hospital is a very daunting place to the majority of people, for the wounded soldier it was far less daunting because the regime by which it was run was one he or she was perfectly familiar with, namely the military regime. He or she may not know their way round the bricks and mortar but they knew it was manned by fellow-servicemen and women who understood exactly what is needed, what gives comfort and what gives security to the wounded soldier.
Alas, that is all gone now and the soldier needs reassurance in other ways; nowadays he needs to go into battle knowing that he will be adequately compensated financially and why not? There are none of the old-fashioned and substantially more concrete comforts for today's Service personnel to rely on, let them at least have some financial comfort.

Mark Campbell
Ex- Royal Army Medical Corps

Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:18 pm
Profile E-mail

Post Re: It Probably Wont Get Published But
Here Here!!

Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:41 pm
Profile E-mail YIM

I totaly agea with that Mark, There is a piece in one of todays papers from an Infatory lad who gave the same coments but from the other side, ie a nonmedical squady.

Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:44 pm
Profile E-mail YIM
Site Admin

---------
I bet it gets printed !!!!! well written Mark

I will not be on here a lot this week and next as I have a visit here and its taking up all my spare time
Stu

Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:07 pm
Profile E-mail