It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:36 pm

Geordie Belton 
Site Admin

Post Geordie Belton
Geordie was with myself Ernie Charlton ,Jock Rae, Fred Schreeves,Blip Blyth,Swede Baker,Jimmy Gratton and not to forget Knocker .Please add more names anybody Geordie works in a Bank now so if you are in the near from Geordiland look him up and he will buy you a weak Guiness like he has on the Photo
Geordie !!!! That cant be a Guiness Shandy !! 5 Days Rps mate

Rupert

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:51 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

Post Geordies memorys
Geordies Memorys
Sent to me by his wife Sally

Hi Bear

Well, here goes and hope you enjoy the first instalment of what I am sure will be many.

I joined the army in ‘69 Jlr’s reg’t Taunton, Somerset, passing out in April 71, thinking we were the bees knees, that was until that I & six other blokes (red a***s) stepped off the bus.

We had arrived at "Birdwood Scrubs"

I was taken to ‘A’ Trp block along with Harry Jones, the place was empty! The sqn was on exercise, picked up our bedding etc got some scran then waited for the sqn to get back to camp next day.

When that day arrived it was the start of 3½ years that was going to change the rest of my life.

I remember that on the second night I was asleep (I never drank before I came to Bunde) there was a sound of breaking glass & shouting - these guys including Ernie Charlton burst into the room shouting "where the f**k is the new guy!" I was expecting the end of life! They got to my bed, got me up, shoved a bottle of Herforder Pils in my hand "youre a Geordie, get out of bed, were going on the piss!!" I’ve been drinking ever since.

I had some great times & bad times, met some great guys, the like I’ve never met since but some great memories of which I am hoping others will jog my memory and vice versa, after all it was 37 years ago!

The other thing is that I still remember that when I first went there in 1971 the Squadron Dog was Patch – big black and white mongrel – I am sure that there is someone out there who could tell me whether I am right or wrong?

Another thing, we used to be attached to an American base somewhere near Munster where they had a compound with six old wooden towers on it and we used to do 24 hours on and 24 hours off watch over this – it was a two to three week attachment.

We stayed on stand-by at the American base where we were allowed to go to the PX (their NAAFI) but we were only allowed to use Dollars on their camp – typical Americans – I remember two hour stag of standing in one of the towers until 1.00 in the morning in the middle of winter freezing our b*******s off guarding what – I cannot remember! Again if anyone can remember what we were guarding!

The guys that I remember drinking with:
Bob Aberdeen
Davie Biggs
Ernie Charlton
Josh Collins
Joe Cullen
Fred Fievez
Jim Gratton
Rupert (of course)

plus many more which now, having had my memory jogged from seeing them on this site, I can definitely add to this list and hopefully more.

All the faces in our memories are of young guys – we have all got to get old sometime but young at heart - after all it has been 37 years and counting but putting names to faces – I wonder what happened to everyone?

Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:07 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

Post Geordies ramblings
Hi Guys

I can remember one night/morning coming back from the Soul Centre with a guy whose name I cannot remember - we had no money for taxis - drunk as skunks - decided to walk back to Camp - remember waking up in the morning in a corn on the cob field and standing up seeing two tracks into the field from the road and a bike by my feet and the other chap - ditto!! Where we got those bikes from God only knows but got back to Camp none the wiser but in those days who e****g cares!! (my husband’s dictating this!!).

When we were really skint and just scraped enough money we would go to the SKC. I can always remember the National Anthem and some dyed in the blood Sgt at the back of the cinema shouting "STAND UP FOR THE NATIONAL ANTHEM YOU B*****DS!!" Were some people really that brainwashed?

I can always remember putting up the spare wheels on the ten tonners - if you can remember two people had to lift the wheel up and start turning the wheel and someone at the top had to run up the wheel until it locked in position - most people thought I was the fittest - guess who used to always run the wheel up!

I remember there used to be a bar (disco) which I think was called the Ponderosa - you turned out of camp gates, turned right then left then right again over the railway crossing to the disco (I tried to retrace my steps in 1997) where there always used to be fights between the squaddies and the spics. Curiously how in the middle of a disco the Krauts would dance to Tony Christi (Amarillo) - time for the squaddies to go and fill up their glasses!

Apart from the NAAFI Bar (with the murals of Andy Capp on the wall and broken glass and beer dripping down the walls) my next home was the Texas Bar - I think the husband/partner of the woman that used to run it, was a retired WO that served on the Camp if my memory serves me right. A game of dice, loads of beer - who cared anyway!

In 1997 my brother and I did a recce back to Germany - my brother joined the army - the RA based at Lippstadt and we wanted to see how our camps had survived.

His camp at Lippstadt had just closed down and Bunde (Birdwood Barracks) had been closed for a good year but the buildings were still up but locked. I have got 10 - 15 photographs of the barracks before they were pulled down - if anyone is interested I will put them on site.

On the photos you can see the row of MT sheds, ‘B’ Troop block, Corporals’ Mess, Assault Course and the building where we used to do CS gas training and also main gate and guard room.

I hear now that the place has been flattened to make way for God knows what, so looking back I am pleased that I have these photos. Will get in touch with Rupert (the Bear) and he will put them on the site for me.

I have also got pic of all 4 Sqn on Parade in front of the Firing Range!!
How appropriate!

There must be 60+ on photo - get those grey brain cells going lads!!!!!! I think it was 73-74. We were Long Sleeve Order that day Spring -Autumn

I had a stinking memory those days - its worse now!

No one has ever mentioned the helicopter pilots - their block was between 4 and 33 Squadron. They had a great late night bar if I can remember only the privileged got in.

Tony Cox (Coxy) was a mate of one of the mechanics and we used to get dragged out of bed for extra drinking sessions only because Coxy had run out of money, but what the hell a couple of pints at two o’clock in the morning was better than a Bovril!

Hope these are ok for you to put on site

Will be in touch
Geordie

CLICK ON THE PHOTOS

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:15 pm
Profile E-mail

Post Re: Geordie Belton
Hi Geordie
I think you are on the passing out parade photo that I posted on here along with the Band and pony, I was in the MRS from 1970 to 1971 end of, you may remember the Matron!!! and her black dog, I remember a few of the lads that have been on the Bunde site, as I was also at Bunde in the Medical Centre, but that was 1984 ish.

Brian :ugeek:

Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:44 pm
Profile E-mail YIM

Hi Folks
On the other site memories of Birdwood, I could think of the name of the RCT lad that was in the Medical Centre with me and Smudge Smith RCT, the name was Martin Adams he was put on the Guard Room Staff part way in to my tour there. Does any one know what happened to him ??

Brian

Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:46 pm
Profile E-mail YIM

Was he by anychance a fullscrew??

And of Smudge Smith, Blonde hair guy......?

Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:40 pm
Profile E-mail

---------
Martin Adams was lucky to make Dvr let a loan full screw,he was done for abussing prisoners at one point the grape vine said. Smudge Smith was a blonde haired lad from Woolwich, last I saw of him was working for the council there when I was at QEMH in Woolwich.
Brian

Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:30 am
Profile E-mail YIM