It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:49 pm

Driver Peter Heppenstall. 
Site Admin

Post Driver Peter Heppenstall.
Pete was my room mate in B√ľnde

Driver Peter Heppenstall. Aged 20.
Shot dead by a sniper while on foot patrol in the Ardoyne area of Belfast on the 14-07-1972.

RIP

Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:15 am
Profile E-mail

Post Re: Driver Peter Heppenstall.
Hello Stuart.

PETER HEPPENSTALL

Thanks very much for remembering Peter (Heppy) Heppenstall. He was a nice guy who parked his "tenny" right next to mine on the troop park. I think his vehicle was numbered A1 and often he was awarded the best turned out vehicle on the colonels parade. A first class squaddy, his best mate was Ernie Charlton another decent Geordie, mentioned by Geordie Belton the T Rex fan (hello dvr Belton). Peter also had the best car, do you remember it was a beautifully maintained Audi 100 and he looked down his nose in a good humoured way at my cherished rusty Fiat 1500.
Heppy was the first mate that I knew to be killed in Northern Ireland. I remember being really shocked and more than a little afraid, when I heard the news and it brought the gravity of the situation right on to our young laps. Previously I don't think we realized just how dangerous it could be and saw it as a bit of an adventure till Pete was killed..............all those years ago!
I still to this day think about Heppy and get sad when I realize how much life he was robbed of, (by some "so called" hero from the safety of a hideout) robbed of, getting married,having kids,football, sunny holidays with the family, pop music, the pub, all the events that bring so much pleasure to your life that NOBODY has a right to take away for any reason.

No Heppy your not forgotten.

Cheers Mate
Dermot Doyle C troop 4 squadron Bunde 1970/73

Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:04 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

---------
Post Re: Driver Peter Heppenstall.
Very nicely put Dermot
Thanks from everyone that knew Pete
------------------------------------------

Stu