It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:59 am

**ck Me! 
Site Admin

Post **ck Me!
Surviving a Head Shot

Monday, June 16, 2008

Source: The Sun Online

Miracle squaddie Alistair McKinney told yesterday how he survived being shot straight through the brain by a Taliban sniper.

The bullet entered his head above his left eye, passed through his brain and exited his skull above his right ear.

As the 36-year-old sergeant clung to life in hospital, he was struck by an MRSA-like infection, tuberculosis and a large cerebral abscess.

But he has amazed medics by battling back from the brink of death, and is now well enough to be home with his parents.

Alistair, who has been left blind in the left side of both eyes, said: “I can’t complain because I’ve no right to be alive really.

“I’m wheelchair-bound at the moment but I’m getting up on my feet more and more. I can slowly feel the paralysis down my left side easing.

“It’s frustrating sometimes that things take time to heal. But I’m determined to be out of this chair. The doctors told me I shouldn’t really still be here – so anything is possible.”

Alistair, a sarge with the 1st Battalion Royal Irish Regiment and a soldier for 17 years, was hit by sniper fire from hills as he patrolled his base perimeter at Musa Qala, Afghanistan, in August 2006.

He has no recollection of the shooting.

Alistair said: “The bullet smashed my forehead just above the left eye, went through part of my brain then shot out the side of my head above the right ear.

“I was out for weeks. I just couldn’t believe I’d survived when the medics described exactly where the round had passed.”

After emergency treatment at a hospital in Pakistan, Alistair was flown back to Britain for extensive neurosurgery at Birmingham’s Queen Elizabeth hospital.

A source there said: “An injury like this would prove fatal 99.9 times out of 100. It’s an incredible recovery.”

Alistair is now having treatment at the armed services rehab centre at Headley Court near Epsom, Surrey.

He said: “They’ve told me I’m a miracle case.”

Mum Josie, 57, cares for him with dad George, 55, in Market Drayton, Shropshire.

She said: “We never thought he’d pull through. But he’s a fighter – and he’s fighting all the way. We’re so proud of him.”

Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:58 am
Profile E-mail

---------
Post Re: **ck Me!
One lucky lad , but the been counters wanted to close Headley Court as well as the BMH's so what would these people have done for rehab it is time they were thrown out, I was headley Court to learn to get my balance back again after th operations on my head, and they could not do enough for any one that was there patients or relatives, because there was no where for bette to stay when she got there one of the staff took her home with her while I was in there How many civvy hospitals would do that.

Brian

Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:36 pm
Profile E-mail YIM