It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:02 pm

Bletchley Park 

Post Bletchley Park
Hi Lads!

Probably the most important event that influenced the outcome of WW2 was the breaking of the German Enigma codes at Bletchley Park.
Without the knowledge Britain obtained from the deciphered signals we may well have lost the Battle of the Atlantic.
Our access to munitions, food and oil supplies from USA, Canada and the rest of the free world would have been cut.
If that had happened Britain could not have survived.
Regretably, Bletchley Park is threatened with closure. If this is allowed to happen a great piece of our Second World War history will be lost forever.
If you feel, like me, this is a cause for concern and should not be allowed to happen, please go to :-

and sign the petition to save Bletchley Park.

If you are aware of this petition and have already signed-up - Well Done! :)

Cheers All!

Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:46 pm
Profile E-mail

Post Re: Bletchley Park
It is done but I dont hold much hope as are great leader :mrgreen: does not like to be reminded of our past good times.

Brian

Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:51 pm
Profile E-mail YIM
Site Admin

Done but, like Brian I'm not optomistic.

Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:32 pm
Profile E-mail

Bletchley Park was at one time a Training Centre for British Telecom and I was employed as an Engineering Instructor from 1972. We alternated between Bletchley Park and another Training Centre at nearby Drayton Parslow. At BP we usually worked in G Block and I was involved with training on jointing underground cables. I recall on one occasion going to a local ironmongers to buy something on a local purchase which meant that the retailer would need to invoice BT. The guy that served me wanted to know for which section of BP I was buying. Naturally, I told him it was the Underground Section. He thought I was some sort of spy, I think. :D
The huts that housed the decoding aparatus were mainly used for management training whilst I was there. I'm pretty sure we had no idea of its wartime significance at the time. It was just a place of employment although I did frequent the Mansion, as we called the main building, for social activities etc. Now, knowing a bit about its history, the Mansion, the pond, the huts all take on a new significance.
I know it is now possible to visit and have guided tours and they do have a website. If you Google 'Bletchley Park' you will find loads of connections. As with many things of historic importance I feel it imperative that it be maintained as a monument to such an amazing and important wartime 'weapon'. I see from Google that many others feel the same and funds are being donated. Will the efforts be rewarded? Only time will tell. Well done DeeJay for raising the issue.

Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:37 pm
Profile E-mail

Brian/Mark/Ron,

Nice one Lads - Every Little Helps!
Nice to read of your connections with Bletchley Park Ron - even more reason for me to grovel in your presence - (see, I also remember your "Sicilian" connections as well! :o :D )

In light of current "financial difficulties" - a General Election might not be a million miles away - Our Esteemed Leader might pause for thought and think of us guys, who are prepared to vote with their feet, and might just listen .... for once!
As for the state of the Financial Markets - I was telecoms manager in a U.S. bank - but don't blame me for current state of affairs! :cry:

Cheers All!

Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:23 am
Profile E-mail

Where does the RAMC training get you two the job with telecoms, I know our radio coms were a bit behind in those days(2xflags) and Willy Matieavich on DR, come to think of it was it you **** comeing down the slope in the Harzes both arms going at 50 MPH,and you at 60MPH we never did find out what you were saying :o :lol: :lol: .
Good to hear from you all.

Brian

Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:29 pm
Profile E-mail YIM

Hi Brian,
When I was on that skiing course up in the Harz Mountains at Bad Lauterberg and was going downhill all I could say was :- "HeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeLP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o :lol:
Still at the end of the course I didn't leave in a Thomas Splint! :D

My medic training didnt help with my job with GPO - I was trained by them as an Overseas Telegraphist (NOT Telephonist!!) and was involved in SENDING Telegrams (often referred to as "Cables"). I think Ron was in the Technical side which dealt with the installing/repairing the electrical cables. My training with GPO later led me to go to work for a U.S. bank (Chase Manhattan Bank) in the City. Later we moved operations to Bournemouth - where I now live in blissful retirement and Thank Heavens I am not working there now!

Good to hear from you Brian, Take Care Old Mate!

Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:15 am
Profile E-mail

---------
Good News!

Well it seems that Bletchley Park has been saved - but NO thanks are due to the government - as usual!
£600,000 was needed to make structure weather-proof and for refurbishment.
£330,000 has been donated by English Heritage for roof repairs.
They promised a further £100,000 per year over next three years IF a similar sum was donated from elsewhere.
Milton Keynes council has, with overwhelming support and approval from the residents, agreed to match E H's donation. Good for them!
And the New Labour governments contribution? - zilch! nothing! nada!

So for the foreseeable future it looks as though Bletchley Park will continue as a museum to the sterling work done there by the code-breakers.
It is, of course, the birthplace of the world's first digital electronic computer - "Colossus" - developed by the Post Office engineers during those dark days in the war.

If any of you are ever in the Milton Keynes area why not visit and show your support for Bletchley Park and the townsfolk of M K? I certainly will.

Cheers all!
dee jay

Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:12 am
Profile E-mail