It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:05 am

An idea whose time may have come 

Post An idea whose time may have come
First, Mark and Bear feel free to move this if you feel it is in the wrong place.
I've been out on the tractor again where I have far too much time to think but this idea came into my head and will not go away so I thought I would post it here and see what the reaction is, here goes .......
There has been a lot of talk in the press lately about injured military folk being treated in NHS hospitals and how many feel that this is not acceptable or even just plain wrong. I am not sure of the status of many of the decomissioned Military Hospitals aroiund and about but I am willing to bet that there are at least a couple in mothballs (I know that there are several NHS hospitals in 'mothballs' as it were) so what about a campaign to re-open at least one as a charitable trust, could be called the British Military Charitable Trust Hospital or some such. I would envisage it being staffed by ex-military types primarily but not exclusively and could provide the sort of understanding support that military patients require. If enough people were to subscribe to the idea then pressure colld be brought on the powers that be to donate at least the buldings with the charity then picking up the day to day running costs. Costs could be kept down to some extent as there would be no need for some services normally found in general hospitals, I suppose I envisage it running along the lines of the vetrans hospitals the US have (feel free to correct me El M iif I am wrong here).
To get it rolling there would need to be a prominent patron or even several prominent patrons. After all nobody would listen to me but I am sure they might listen to say an ex-high ranking officer or even a minor royal or two. I met the cousin of a famous actor who was ex regiment and paraplegic in the QEMH once (sorry but no names) - his cousin was shocked to find that he was not entitled to much in the way of compensation and organised a special event to raise money for him. So even the current cult of celebrity could be tapped into here.
Oh well just a thought but any comments or ideas would be welcome. Thanks for reading.
I just borrowed this from the Charity Comission, as far as I can see it would qualify.

Examples of charitable purposes recognised as analogous to the Preamble
A10. The following purposes have been found to be analogous to the purposes set out in the Preamble:

The provision of public works and services;
The provision of public amenities;
The protection of life and property;
The preservation of public order;
The defence of the realm;
The promotion of the sound development and administration of the law;
The social relief, resettlement and rehabilitation of persons under a disability and deprivation;
The promotion of certain patriotic purposes;
The promotion of health and the relief of sick, ill and disabled people;
The care, upbringing and establishment in life of children and young people;
The training and retraining of and finding work opportunities for unemployed people;
The promotion of regeneration for the public benefit in areas which are socially or economically deprived

Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:52 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

Post Re: An idea whose time may have come
A great idea Geordie, I think you'll find that someone has started the ball rolling on this, have a look in Act Now, there is a petition up to get just such a hospital.
I too fervently believe that our servicemen and women are being short changed and the Gov must have pressure put on it to do something.

Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:23 am
Profile E-mail

Thanks for that Mark, will check it out soon, I have a possibility of some serious funding (we are talking the six zero kind of funding here) but will not know about that until next week meanwhile I intend to contact Julian Brazier a local MP and TA Officer (his wife is TA also) to feel out the political opinion.

Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:56 pm
Profile E-mail

Hi Geordie
IF you look on my topis of Military Hospitals there is a petition going to get military and veterans hospital built but the petition closes 18 Aug so have a look.
there is some thing on the RAMC reunited site as well.

Brian

Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:19 pm
Profile E-mail YIM

I have signed it Brian and it is a good thing, call me an old cynic if you like but the powers that be don't seem to take much notice of petitions. My idea is to work with the military but not be beholding to them as they should be using the funds they have to keep themselves as well equipped as they can - unless they want to donate of course - people seem to react in a more positive way if they think it is not going to cost them anything and I think that a charitable approach would be a win win situation. I expect somebody will shoot me down in flames eventually but I intend to persue this for the moment.

Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:54 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

Geordie, you are touching on a subject I'm passionate about and in which I'd very much like to get involved, I hope you can find me something to do to help this cause out, even if it means full time effort.

Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:57 pm
Profile E-mail

Mark anyone who wants to can get involved, when I have some funding news I will set about registering a charity, this will require a board or committee, to be honest I am not the best person to front this but I will give it two hundred percent effort and if the funding angle does pan out there will be legal and accounting support thrown in. For now spread the word as it will need lots of folk to get involved oh and a snappy name would be good. I am thinking a website might be a good idea, preferably written by someone whose first tongue is not geordie (and can spell)
And perhaps some of the 23 viewers who have remained silent would like to speak up as well

Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:43 pm
Profile E-mail

I know the majority of you know and understand this, but for those few who don't, let me put it down in words.

I've nearly always been quite sympathetic with the causes that have been raised here on this board and also those that have been brought to my attention via email by other friends in the UK. As you all know, I'm ex-military and my sentiments fall right in line with the rest who see the government as being less than fully supportive of those who put their lives in harm's way. Progress has been made, but so much more is needed to make things right.

Here in the U.S., especially after Gulf One, much of the populace was operating under a guilt complex. Given the poor treatment that many G.I.s suffered upon returning from Viet Nam, there was a swing in the opposite direction and people couldn't seem to do enough to show there support and appreciation for the returnees from the Gulf. I also believe a lot of that has to do with the events of 9/11/2001, too. Very dramatic events do tend to rally folks. The problem with Gulf Two is that it's drug on and on for so very long that now for many it seems to have settled down to routine. The enthusiastic support has waned, I'm sad to say.

We have a pretty good system of Veteran's hospitals through the Veteran's Administration and also several pretty good military hospitals. But it recently became sickeningly obvious that those are not in the best condition. You may have seen in the news about the appauling conditions at Walter Reed Army Hospital that came to light. This was supposed to be the preeminent military hospital and often called the Hospital of Presidents! Now they are pretty much rebuilding, it was so bad. Would that have happened if we weren't at war and feeling guilty? Who knows?

We don't have a nationalized healthcare system (yet) so those injured in war must rely on the military hospital system while they are still on active duty status and when they are discharged, they are reverted over to the VA system for continued care and rehabilitation. It can be a huge challenge, but all in all not a terribly bad system for the young and newly injured. It's quite a different story for those who have been out of the service for a long time and are trying to receive proper treatment. Look how long it took the government to recognize the effects of, let alone the reality of Agent Orange!

Anyway, I've said all that to say this.... I'm behind you lads 100%! Unfortunately, I can't add my name to the list of those on the petition. It's reserved for citizens of the UK and that's understandable. But let it be known that I agree whole-heartedly with what you are saying and trying to accomplish!!

:)

Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:11 pm
Profile E-mail YIM
Site Admin

Just sign the petition and put your name down and say you dont live in the UK you are an ex pat and for us this is what yopu are mate so nip off and send those in Downing Street a signature from ex Squaddy (We are a family )
Stu

Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:19 pm
Profile E-mail

---------
If there is anything you think an old fart living in Spain can do, just put me down. Think this is a great idea that should be pursued to the end. 100% behind you and the idea.

Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:10 am
Profile E-mail WWW