It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:04 pm

An Absolute Disgrace 
Site Admin

Post An Absolute Disgrace
Basically I have always been innordinately proud to have worn the uniform of my country and to have served that country wherever it felt fit to send me.
I now have to hang my head in shame at what this country is doing to men whom also have served this country well, in some cases at the cost of their health. Our Government is basically fleecing people who can't afford it. It is wrong, it is immoral and it is downright evil.

Please read:

"We are raising money for Captain Gurung MC and other Gurkhas who cannot afford the visa application fee, and details are on the home page of along with some "Now and Then" pictures of Captain Lalit Gurung MC. I stress that the money is solely raised to pay for the visa fee which has to be handed over to the British Embassy in Kathmandu (via the VFS Global Visa Centre) which is then processed through the British Consulate in New Delhi.

However, I do feel that it is impossible to raise money to pay for all the Gurkhas who are too poor to afford the immorally high visa application fees (£500 per man). The fact is, also, that even if this fee is paid these men will almost certainly be refused entry automatically. My firm acts for 2,000 Gurkhas who have paid that fee to the British Embassy in Kathmandu and the British Consulate in New Delhi (as Delhi is now the hub now processing all Gurkha visas in Nepal) and all my Gurkhas have been refused a right to live in the UK or get medical treatment here. Seven of my clients have already died waiting for our legal challenge to be won! It does not seem to matter how ill these old Gurkhas are, they applications are just rubber-stamped with "refused" and they lose their visa application fee (they then have to appeal to the courts in the UK - which is what I am doing for them all). We have a test case on 16 and 17 September in the High Court. You will recall that even Hon Lt Tul Bahadur Pun VC was initially refused settlement (he also had to pay the £500 visa fee to get here).

The dilemma for brave men like Capt Gurung MC is either they pay the visa fee (knowing that their applications to come here will still automatically be refused by our Embassy) or chose to eat the next day and be able to pay for vital medicines! Men like Capt Gurung MC have no choice - they need the money to exist.

The real key to how people can help is to mobilise a campaign of awareness and contact the media and their MPs. We must change the rule that stops Gurkhas like Capt Gurung MC from being able to access vital medical care here because they are too poor to pay such extortionate visa application fees!

Once again, I am grateful to you for your continued support to my clients.

Best wishes

Kieran O'Rourke
Howe & Co"

Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:48 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

Post Re: An Absolute Disgrace
The Gurkhas were and are our most fiercest soldiers and they have devoted there lives to that army miles from home
which dont give a damm about them when they have finished there time
Shame on you Great Britain
Stu

a bit more here

Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:40 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

I HAVE WRITTEN HERE
STU

Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:29 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

Well done Rupert, I have written to Keiren O'Rourke at law@howe.co.uk

Here is a copy of my letter:

Dear Mr. O'Rourke

I have just read a copy of a letter you have written to a member of the Army Rumour Service web site with regards to the application fees that are charged ex-Gurkha soldiers whom apply for visas to enter the United Kingdom. I believe that you are due to represent ex-Gurkhas in the High Court on 16th/17th inst.

I would be most grateful if you could bring to attention of His Lordship or Her Ladyship presiding; the contents of this letter:

Your Lord(Lady)ship

I am a 51 year old businessman currently residing in the East Riding of Yorkshire. For 15 years of my life I had the honour and inordinate pride of wearing my country's uniform as a member of the Royal Army Medical Corps.
I now find that I am unable to hold my head high as a member of a nation which has shaped history and championed justice for centuries. I now bow my head in shame because Her Majesty's Government are charging ex-Gurkha soldiers, an exorbitant, immoral and downright evil - non-refundable on failure - amount to process an application for a visa to visit the United Kingdom. I also understand that they do this in the almost certain knowledge that any application will be refused.
To charge an ex-Gurkha £500 when the average annual Nepalese income is a mere £100 is the equivalent of charging £100,000 in the UK where the average annual income is approximately £20,000. I am disgusted and filled with shame that Her Majesty's Government should do this in my name.
If I were to charge my customers money for something I had no intention of providing I am sure that I would, quite rightly, be facing this court myself and I should not expect leniency.
An Englishman is born and grows in the certain knowledge that he lives in a free, fair and moral society with an independent Judiciary who have, for almost a thousand years stood for what is right and what is just. Noble Lords and Ladies of the Judiciary have always seen fit to challenge any law or aspect of law which is patently unfair.
I respectfully ask you to see fit to grant these poor men, who have done so much for our country, the right to treatment and residence without being charged immoral fees which to them mean the choice between life and death.

Your obedient servant

Mark Campbell

Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:40 am
Profile E-mail

---------
Mark I think every one on this site and any other military site would agea with you, I sent a letter to the lad reprosenting the Gurkha's as I served for 2 years with the 2/7 Duke of Ediburghs Gurkha Rifles and I could not have been treated better if I had been the Duke himself, then this tin pot goverment do this to them.

Brian

Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:43 pm
Profile E-mail YIM