It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:53 am

A Popular Soldier (MOD) 
Site Admin

Post A Popular Soldier (MOD)
Attachment:
file16076.jpg

A Tunbridge Wells soldier has battled her way through several heats to reach the grand final of Miss England 2008.

Lance Corporal Katrina Hodge, 21, a Military Clerk with The Adjutant General Corps, is currently serving at Frimley Park Hospital.

LCpl Hodge won the title of Miss Tunbridge Wells after a friend secretly entered her picture in the hometown heats of the high-profile pageant. She will now compete for the Miss England title at the Grand Final in London on Friday 18 July 2008.

Speaking about her selection for the Miss England final and how it contrasts with her role as a soldier, LCpl Hodge said:

"I am delighted to have been selected for the Miss England final and it is a great honour. Being a part-time model and a serving soldier is certainly a world apart.

"I want to use this competition to highlight the work that the army are doing and what they have done for this country."

In 2005 LCpl Hodge deployed to Iraq with 1st Battalion The Royal Anglian Regiment. It was during this tour that the part-time model received a commendation for bravery.

Trained as a female searcher, LCpl Hodge was on an operation in Basra when her patrol detected a suspected insurgent. On leaving the area the vehicle Katrina was travelling in was involved in an accident and the vehicle flipped over. The detainee used the opportunity to grab two rifles and threaten the soldiers.

LCpl Hodge described what happened next: "I was in complete shock at first, the force of the accident caused our vehicle to roll over three times and threw us off guard.

"As I came round, the Iraqi suspect was standing over us with the rifles. I knew if I didn't act fast then our lives would be in danger. I punched him and the force startled him enough for me to retrieve the rifles from him."

LCpl Hodge's actions in that split second saved the lives of those travelling in her vehicle.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:37 am
Profile E-mail

---------
Post Re: A Popular Soldier (MOD)
Sounds like she has the whole package! I hope she does well in the competition, which I've no doubt she will!!

:)

Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:08 pm
Profile E-mail YIM