It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:18 am

7FA Reunion Report 

Post 7FA Reunion Report

Sponsored Links

On Friday and Saturday, 19/20 September, a reunion of the 'Originals' was convened. I don't, of course, mean THE Originals, aka Sterling's mob, just the 7FA Originals ex Prestatyn Barracks.
The event took place in Redditch and was attended by five of those that were at one time quartered in the aforementioned barracks. Regrettably, the 'sprog' of the five did not have a late pass so he was only there for the Friday meet. The rest of us were fortunate enough to have had a very enjoyable two days. The weather was unusually kind, the food was very acceptable in the main, both price-wise and, by and large, quality-wise. The booze went down well although there was a distinct shortage of lager drinkers; all a matter of taste, I guess, and the 'real ale' drinkers have as much right to have poor taste as anyone else. :D

Others who might otherwise have attended were unable to make it due to poor health and we wish them a speedy recovery. Maybe, all being well, they may be able to make it next time. No decision has yet been made as to date or venue but all were agreed that a re-visit to Redditch would not be unacceptable but possibly an alternative venue may be chosen to meet the needs of our more remote brethren; meaning, of course, the jocks. :)
I found it a somewhat strange experience to be with people that I last saw almost 50 years ago. We have all, of course, changed; not only in appearance due to age but also in personality due to the experiences and wisdom gained through life. Having said that, there appeared to be no 'awkwardness' as might be associated with meeting people for the first time and we all 'gelled' immediately. This, of course, was helped by all the photos of long ago that were circulated. One comment we all shared was ' I remember the face but can't recall his name', such is the deterioration of memory with age.
Feel it appropriate to record our thanks to DeeJay who was prime mover in organisation; he did so well we decided he can do it again next time. Well done, mate.

Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:47 pm
Profile E-mail

Post Re: 7FA Reunion Report
So glad you all had a good time. Deejay, the price of success is inevitably having to do it all again next year! Never mind, take it as a compliment!

Sponsored links

Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:40 am
Profile E-mail

Ron - You Old Flatterer! Once RAPC always RAPC - how much do I owe you this time? :lol:
Was that the reason I was being chased down the M40 by a crimson Honda????
Agree the weekend went all too quickly - enjoyed meeting up with you, Alun, Roy & Mick. Not sure which ached the most - my ribs from laughing, elbow from bending or jaw from gabbing! :D

Just hope that next year there will be fewer of us on sick-parade and more getting fell-in - even if they are lager drinkers :cry:

Mark, thanks for compliment - pleasure was all mine twisting arms and, God Willing, I'll be happy to repeat the drill in future.

Cheers All :)

Dee Jay

Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:10 pm
Profile E-mail

I am glad to hear that the reunion went well I am sorry that I could not be with you lads as duty called in far fields , I hope to make the next one for the full week end.
Looking at the photos some faces I could put names to but 2 that have changed over the years or old age come on.

Brian

Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:05 pm
Profile E-mail YIM

CRIMSON? CRIMSON?? I'll have you know it's 'Sicilian Red' and you would be wise to have care in matters Siciliano!!! 8-)
It is something of a strange phenomenon,and I have heard this said many times before, that you can meet up with people with whom you have had little or no contact for a while yet it is as though there had been no time lapse in between. Hope that makes sense? :? It's sort of like just carrying on where you left off, and that's just how things were for me at our little reunion. It's the warmth and comfort of being in the company of good friends, (or family??)
It would be good if more of our comrades could be on parade next time and, hopefully, some with whom we have yet to reconnect. Wouldn't that be something? Instead of a cosy pie and a pint with 4 pals, it'd be a 'lets all talk at once' noisy-ish event, maybe. And why not?? :)
So, Brian, come next year, just consult with DeeJay, will you, before making other arrangements? Gotta get your priorities right, man.

Here's to ya.

Ron

Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:21 pm
Profile E-mail

"Don" Ron,
Sorry about the mistake over your car colour.
I may be getting on in years but I shall remember NOT to mess with anything Sicilian (apart from vino of course!).
I thought I had proved my respect for "The Family" when you witnessed me beating a hasty retreat and turning off M40 at Cherwell Valley Services? (or was that a bladder problem? :lol: )
Know what you mean about the feeling of relaxation and us all being on same wavelength in the group - even though it was circa 48 years, probably, since we last raised a glass or two together. Maybe it was the fact that we all remembered happy days in the 7 Fld Amb NAAFI in Prestatyn Barracks surrounded by the smiling and FRIENDLY faces of our mates - irrespective of corps, seniority, ethnic origins etc. It seemed to me as though we just picked-up where we had left off all those years ago. We probably each remembered the times when we shared a laugh and, perhaps a tear, (though they were, thankfully, few and far between - tears I mean). There was never any shortage of giggles was there? - even on "Compo rations day" - remember that Mulligatawny soup and hard tack biscuits?! :o :mrgreen:

Just hope we can continue to make contact with more "old mates" and the family will continue to grow. Also, that those of us in touch will continue to enjoy communicating, enjoying decent health, and have a desire to meet up again. Not forgetting that we want to prove that even though our joints may be getting "creakier" - it hasn't reached our elbows - yet! :D Long may that continue.

Brian, being AWOL last time will be overlooked - so NO jankers this time - but DON'T let it happen again laddie!
Otherwise Ron's Sicilian connection may come into play - you don't own a horse by any chance do you??? ;) :D

Cheers and Take Care All! :)

Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:04 pm
Profile E-mail

here is a link with the past for you young lads of Prestatyn barracks, what was the DR's name that had White/blonde hair and used to ride with 3/4 of us on the bike while on exercise, Willy Materavitch is one name that springs to mind.
I had a photo of us on the bike but it has faded too much even for computer enansement.

Brian

Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:39 pm
Profile E-mail YIM

The only Dr I recall from 7FA was Capt Alderman MO i/c MRS. No idea what colour his hair was. I know we baby sat for him a few times but I can't remember who accompanied me in that duty. It was slave labour, now I think about it. A bottle of beer each was all we got, I think. Mind you, that was enough or else we wouldn't have done it a second time and more, would we?

Willy Matijevic was an MSO driver, as I recall.

Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:03 pm
Profile E-mail

Hi Brian,

Like you my memory is somewhat faded - BUT I can recall an RASC Full-screw whose first name was I believe "Jackie" who was DR when we were in convoy or off on a "scheme". He was also an "ace" DI and took over once from Sge Bob Main and drilled us! He knew his stuff and had apparently been a DI at RASC depot in a previous life!
Only other DR's I can remember was Driver Button (RASC) and MSO Trupkovic.
"Trup" did trick-riding on the old BSA - (he wouldn't have been out of place in the Royal Signals White Helmets formation!) and was a good goalie and played in 7Fld Amb team at one point.
Hope this helps.
Take Care Old Mate.

Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:40 pm
Profile E-mail

---------
The MSO seemed to turn up so many 'oddballs' who made the load a lot lighter for us all. It would have been nice to have got together with a few of them, Sacha and Bobby from Roberts were younger than the average so may still be around.

Sponsored links

Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:54 am
Profile E-mail